- Ph.D. Candidate, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana IL, USA, August 2014 to present (expected May 2020),
Mechanical Engineering, Advisors: James T. Allison and Randy H. Ewoldt,
"Methods for the integrated design of viscoelastic materials and structural geometry".
- M.S., Ajou University, Suwon, Korea, August 2010,
Mechanical Engineering, Advisor: Yun-Ho Choi, GPA 4.28/4.50,
"A study on the application of Navier-Stokes equations to the unstructured grid system".
- B.S. Ajou University, Suwon, Korea, August 2008,
Mechanical Engineering, GPA 3.97/4.50, Graduated with Honor.
Field of Research
- Design with nonlinear viscoelastic materials, Rheologically-complex materials
- Co-design, Multidisciplinary design optimization (MDO), Design formulation
- Multiobjective adaptive surrogate model-based optimization (MO-ASMO)
- Computational modeling, Computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Direct optimal control, Direct transcription (DT), Pseudospectral methods
- Nonlinear programming (NLP), Sequential linear and quadratic programming (SLP, SQP)
Work, Research, and Teaching
- Teaching Assistant: Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Spring 2019.
- Research Assistant: Engineering System Design Laboratory (P.I. Dr. James T. Allison), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2015 to present.
- Lecturer: Department of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Masan University, Spring 2014.
- CAE/CFD Research Engineer (Assistant Manager): Nuclear Energy Division, Korea Nuclear Engineering and Services Corp, June 2010 - August 2013.
- Student Research Associate: Thermal Hydraulic Safety Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, September 2008 - September 2009.
- Research Assistant: CFD Research Laboratory (P.I. Dr. Yun-Ho Choi), Ajou University, September 2008 - June 2010.
- Teaching Assistant: Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ajou University, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010.
|||Yong Hoon Lee, "A study on the application of Navier-Stokes equations to the unstructured grid system", Master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea, 2010.|
Refereed Journal Articles
|||Yong Hoon Lee, Jonathon K. Schuh, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "Simultaneous design of non-Newtonian lubricant and surface texture using surrogate-based multiobjective optimization", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 60(1), jul 2019, pp. 99-116.|
|||Jonathon K. Schuh, Yong Hoon Lee, James T. Allison, Randy H. Ewoldt, "Design-driven modeling of surface-textured full-film lubricated sliding: Validation and rationale of nonstandard thrust observations", Tribology Letters, 65(2), jun 2017, pp. 35.|
|||Yong Hoon Lee, Jonathon K. Schuh, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "Enhancing full-film lubrication performance via arbitrary surface texture design", Journal of Mechanical Design, 139(5), may 2017, pp. 053401 (Presetned with the Honorable Mention of the 2017 Journal of Mechanical Design Editors’ Choice Award).|
|||Dong-Gyu Lee, Jea-Ho Park, Yong Hoon Lee, Chang-Yeol Baeg, Hyung-Jin Kim, "Natural convection heat transfer characteristics in the canister with horizontal installation of dual purpose cask for spent nuclear fuel", Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 45(7), dec 2013, pp. 969-978.|
Refereed Conference Proceedings
|||Yong Hoon Lee, Vedant and James T. Allison, "Computationally-efficient modeling and optimization of strain-actuated solar arrays with tailored viscoelastic damping for spacecraft attitude control", in AAS Guidance and Control Conference, 2020 (submitted).|
|||Albert E. Patterson, Yong Hoon Lee and James T. Allison, "Overview of the development and enforcement of process-driven manufacturability constraints in product design", in ASME IDETC/CIE Conference, DETC2019-97384, 2019, pp. 1-11.|
|||Yong Hoon Lee, Vedant, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "Strain-actuated solar arrays for spacecraft attitude control assisted by viscoelastic damping", in Proceedings of the 13th World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, A230788, 2019.|
|||Chendi Lin, Daniel R. Herber, Vedant, Yong Hoon Lee, Alexander Robin Mercantini Ghosh, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "Attitude control system complexity reduction via tailored viscoelastic damping co-design", in AAS Guidance and Control Conference, AAS 18-103, 2018.|
|||Yong Hoon Lee, Jonathon K. Schuh, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "Simultaneous design of non-Newtonian lubricant and surface texture using surrogate-based optimization", in AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, AIAA 2018-1906, 2018, pp. 1-14.|
|||Chendi Lin, Yong Hoon Lee, Jonathon K. Schuh, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "Efficient optimal surface texture design using linearization", in Advances in Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization: Proceedings of the 12th World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (Braunschweig, Germany), A. Schumacher, T. Vietor, S. Fiebig, K. U. Bletzinger, K. Maute, Eds., Cham: Springer, 2018, pp. 632-647.|
|||Yong Hoon Lee, R. E. Corman, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "A multiobjective adaptive surrogate modeling-based optimization (MO-ASMO) framework using efficient sampling strategies", in ASME IDETC/CIE Conference, Volume 2B: 43rd Design Automation Conference, DETC2017-67541, 2017, pp. V02BT03A023.|
|||Yong Hoon Lee, Jonathon K. Schuh, Randy H. Ewoldt, James T. Allison, "Shape parameterization comparison for full-film lubrication texture design", in ASME IDETC/CIE Conference, Volume 2B: 42nd Design Automation Conference, DETC2016-60168, 2016, pp. V02BT03A037.|
|||Dong-Gyu Lee, Yong Hoon Lee, Wi-Soo Jeong, Jea-Ho Park, "Heat transfer analysis around transport cask under transport hood", in The 8th International Symposium on Radiation Safety Management, 2011.|
|||Yong Hoon Lee, Jin-Won Seo, Jae-Hong Park, Yun-Ho Choi, "Numerical study on performance assessment and installation conditions of an automotive air cleaner", in Korean Society for Computational Fluids Engineering Spring Conference, 60115923, 2010, pp. 263-270.|
|||Jin-Won Seo, Ji-Yeon Kim, Yong Hoon Lee, Yun-Ho Choi, Bongha Song, Jongpaek Ha, "Numerical study for efficient air distribution in automotive HVAC system", in The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers (KSAE) Annual Conference and Exhibition, 76306949, 2008, pp. 594.|
Non-Refereed Conference Papers, Abstracts, and Talks
Tech Reports and Manuals
|||Tais Rocha Pereira, Albert Patterson, Yong Hoon Lee, Sherri L. Messimer, "Critical buckling load of thin-walled plastic cylinders in axial and radial loading: overview and FEA case study", engrXiv, 2019.|
- Mavis Future Faculty Fellows Award, August 2019 - May 2020,
Announced in [link],
Grainger College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Honorable Mention of the 2017 Journal of Mechanical Design Editors’ Choice Award, August 2018,
Lee, Y.H. et al., J. Mech. Design, 139(5):053401, May 2017. doi: 10.1115/1.4036133
Announced in doi: 10.1115/1.4041528
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Finalist Award of the 2009 ATES Paper Contest for ANSYS Fluent Academic Users, August 2009,
Lee, Y.H. et al., In ATES Paper Contest for ANSYS Fluent Academic Users, Seoul, Korea, August 2009.
Advanced Technology Engineering Service (ATES)
- Graduate College Travel Award and MechSE Schaller Travel Grant, February 2019.
Lee, Y.H. et al., In Proceedings of the 13th World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, May 2019.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Membership of Professional Society
- International Society for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (ISSMO)
Member since 2019
- The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
Student Member since 2017
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Student Member since 2015
- Korean Society for Computational Fluids Engineering (KSCFE)
Student Member since 2010